September 16, 2015

Seven Things: mermaids, writings & other ordinary musings

'sleeping mermaid'
01/ I have given the above drawing the title, 'sleeping mermaid' because I always give my piece the easy title when I'm too lazy to think of a real title.  I'll probably never finish this drawing. I've tried adding things to it - seaweeds, flowers, vines, tangles of unsorted objects but I can't seem to do it. I like it the way it is now - uncolored, unshaded, surrounded by nothing but air and space. There's peace in that I think - the unfinished thought, the gap between change and not change. As much as I like drawing mermaids, I tend to lean toward keeping them in their own environment - i.e., the water. I suppose I find them to be too mystical to really exist. To see them above water is to acknowledge they might just be real.

02/ Sometimes I just wish I could stop and let the neighbor's dog bite me so I can get over the fear of getting bitten but then I thought why should I? If dog owners can't get into the habit of keeping their dog on a lease, if they can't keep their dogs from running off after people, well, I just don't know.

03/ Do you know 'shift 3' makes the hashtag (#) that is used in twitter? I saw this movie where a man was typing in a code but the guy reading the code to him said 'hashtag' and the man was almost panicking because he doesn't know what the hell that is until someone shouted "Shift 3!" It's all very amusing to me. I mean, I was that guy panicking over the keyboard because I have no clue when it comes to such things. Now, I do but still, I haven't a clue how it all works and I like to keep it that way.

04/ There's a folder on my laptop devoted to my fiction writing.  I keep drafts of everything I wrote.  There's folders within folders of writings and even as I keep sorting them out, I still end up with... more drafts. Once in a while, I go over each story, each piece and edit them, rewrite them, but I always end up with another version and that version gets added to the list. I guess I wish I am more adamant about finishing but somehow I'm not. Sometimes I think it would be best to just abandon them and just quit writing altogether. So what I have written about 300 hundred stories and half dozen half novels? I could just quit without a reason. Quitting isn't the end. Quitting is just quitting.

05/ I still have secret hopes that some of my favorite bloggers that had not been blogging will return one day. It's just ashamed how so many bloggers just disappeared on you. I mean, I know they have lives and blogging is unimportant but still, I just wish they would come back even for brief periods. I sort of miss them even though I'm not even certain who they really are. I still have them listed on my blogroll though.

06/ I seem to forget easily, the places I have been, the things I have seen and even the paths that I routinely walked on. But I notice changes to places that sat in my mind for long period of times. I see the changes that are put up like the color of a wall or subtle changes that only those who had seen the same place often enough to know there is a change and I wonder when did it happened and how come it took me so long to notice it?

07/ Sometimes I wish there is a 'creative people who are unmotivated to create but still wants to create but don't really want to do anything about it' camp. Really, just making the badge sounds like fun.

14 comments:

  1. beautiful mermaid (would've been perfect for the last CT theme!) and interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not quite fit for the ct theme as I see it more as sleeping than dreaming.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. That mermaid picture is so very beautiful! Your thoughts are interesting and I will be pondering much of what you said through the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I will ponder over them as well and wonder if I should have posted them but what the hey, what's done is done.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I've noticed blogs disappearing too. The strange thing as some people just disappear without warning, others talk about their intentions and then stop. I think that many bloggers get burn-out (a fashionable expression!) I know the feeling sometimes.
    I really like the mermaid, especially the detail of tiny leaves in her plaits and on her upper arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just one of those things we all accept - bloggers stop blogging and that's a fact, of course, there are many reasons for this aside from burn-out but only they would know what that is.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. love this piece, so much
    as though she is floating in water

    1. interesting thoughts about being above water
    2. please don't let a dog bite you, you might feel even more fear of dogs afterwards
    3. i did know how to make #, but did not know that is called hastage, i thought it was for the number sign
    4. i find all arts to be like that, can change it and each day it becomes something new
    5. sometimes i think of blogging like a newpaper, but people can leave messages for the writer. can you imagine writing articles for a paper and never hearing from your readers. seems so different, maybe lonely.
    6. memories..... and changes....
    7. oh go ahead, make it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, #2 is just a thought, there is no way I'm going near that dog but I don't think anything will rid of my fear of dogs but staying away from them is certainly the solution.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I love the mermaid pic! Very soothing! Your list is great, and I agree with you about bloggers. It's hard when some simply disappear, but, like you, I have the hope that they'll return just to say Hello or Goodbye. Big Hugs...Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely love to see those bloggers again even if to say goodbye,

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I will definitely join you in that camp!:) And I love the mermaid! It is perfect the way it is!
    Have a happy weekend, Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the more the merrier, although, there's probably a lot of laziness involved, taking naps and such.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. what an incredibly beautiful mystical piece here, Lissa. I know you don;t think you;ll ever finish the drawing but it looks already finished to me. I would love to see this in colour although I suspect I can imagine it pretty well too. Lovely.

    " There's folders within folders of writings and even as I keep sorting them out, I still end up with... more drafts. "
    -Ha, that made me laugh. a true need to write there, I'd say!

    And, oh yes, I SOOOO know what you mean about other bloggers who leave and one wonders forever more what came of them. I too have their blogs on my blogroll even thought they may have not posted anything in ages. I never want to entirely close that door and forget them as they were an important part of my life, even if removed for a while at least and should the world come crashing down, I wonder if they might not send out a message on their old blog perhaps to reconnect with anyone out there?

    I feel I am part of that "'creative people who are unmotivated to create but still wants to create but don't really want to do anything about it' camp". I really do! Yes, if it was not for CT, I doubt I would create anything on my own. CT is a love hate thing in that I love the perks and others on it but hate having to feel compelled to have to do something yet also love the same pressure as I know w/o it I would do nothing, as many of us have said in times past! lol. I need that badge! make it please. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tons of unfinished drawings like these, without colors or backgrounds, I really don't know how to finish them but I guess everything is a process and so is creating.

      it's about CT, without it, some of us would not really have do much creating, as it was true for me also, so thanks for continuing it.

      & yes, perhaps I will make that badge and who knows, maybe someone, someday will create that camp for us....

      have a lovely day.

      p.s., for some strange reason, I am still not receiving emails about your comments (and a few other bloggers as well) so I only saw your comment when I check the comment sections, it's not hard or anything but just fyi...

      have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut