September 4, 2015

First Versions II

My process, well, not much of a process, but my process is to hand draw, scan in the drawing and color it in Photoshop. Sometimes I do use actual tools - like color pencils, watercolors but mostly it's all color in the computer. By using the computer, I somehow managed to save mulitple versions of a drawing - more than I should but I do always save the first version which is usually hand-drawn.  Here's some first versions with the final versions next to them.

Click on the image for a larger view.

'valentines wings'

Not much on this piece. I did this a while ago so I can't even remember how this came about. I sort of like the looseness of the first version but I'm always trying to straighten the lines and making the curves smooth so it's a wonder I ever finish any piece.

'subway christmas'
The version on the left was created because of a theme about holidays. I like the idea of her hair as a christmas tree and she wears red like santa, another christmas related sort of thing. The flowers in the background was added because I didn't quite like the empty space. I was going to add something besides flowers but I cannot remember what that was.

The version on the right was used as a christmas card. I definitely prefer this version. The flowers were changed to stars as that make more sense. If you click on the image for a closer look, you will see a lot of stars everywhere. I added falling snow as well because why not? It's a christmas scene and what's christmas without snow?

'remember paris/sleepless'
The first version (at left) is colored in color pencil, the second one (in the middle) is colored in Photoshop and the third one (at right) is all done in Photoshop. Actually there is a fourth version that I used for the first post of this blog but that is almost the same as the second version here.

This was orginially titled, 'remember paris' or 'remembering paris,' I forget which but it was a sort of a tribute to a fellow blogger who had recently closed their blog at the time. It was the third version that was posted.

I think now that the glass that she is leaning on should have faced the other way toward the road but I decided no, this is fine, perhaps she is between two roads, sort of in the middle and I that her pausing there makes sense - she's in the middle and she's deciding whether to go or whether to stay. I have worked on a fifth version facing the other way but it didn't work out.

I think my favorite is the middle version. It's clean, simple and it took the least time of all the three.

Well, there you go. What you think?

20 comments:

  1. It's amazing what can be done in Photoshop. So interesting to see how you start your creative process. I like the way you analyzed that last drawing. I think the girl with her back to the light is going within to make some important decision. I like the third version because it looks like snowing and it fits the girl's mood with the darker sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the third version is a night version and the snow was something that just came about plus I always like snow falling scenes.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. i enjoyed readinng about your methods and thoughts.
    such wonderful pieces. i remember ones i have not seen for a while and loved seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing them again too. I see sometimes the mistakes and just how I would fix them but then again and then I see the ones that are just done so well, I kind of them like more than before.

      thanks for stopping by, have a great day.

      Delete
  3. What great construction, and your skills and creativity is obvious in the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you & thanks for visiting. have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. It's great to read about your creative process, to see the beginning and end of each work. What I love about art, is that you don't have to make logic out of everything. You can invent stories as you go along and everyone could have a different one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too like that you can invent your own story to go with the piece and that other people might see the same thing or something else, still, I think the artist can take any liberty that they like.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. I wish I had the patience to learn photoshop, nice work Lissa, thanks for sharing your processes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always have the patience but sometimes I think if you get into certain habits of doing a certain thing, it becomes less of work and more of something you enjoy doing.

      thanks for your visit, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could do something like this. I need to learn how to use Photoshop. I am always amazed to see your work in progress. Thank you very much for sharing, Lissa!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you as always for your kind visit, hope you have a lovely september.

      Delete
  7. Even though you're so kind in explaining your process, there is no way I could put it all together as well as you do. You are totally phenomenal! Hugs...Ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I think some things are harder to learn than others but it really does depend on yourself. but thanks for your kind wods. hope you have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. Lissa, you are blessed with talent for sure. Are you posting for Creative Tuesdays' today, Sept. 15, 2015 You should post the Valentine girl she looks like she dreaming. Such beautiful work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sadly, I got nothing for CT. the valentine girl is perfect for the theme but I think I had done that for ct awhile back so, I'm posting it again.

      thanks for your visit, hope you have a lovely day.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure, like me, they didn't see that one. Glad you're going to post it again, Lissa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, I meant to say, I'm not going to post it again - I left out the 'not' in my comment - I'm always doing that, sorry

      Delete
  10. However you make it happen, your artwork is always magical! I love it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut