May 8, 2015

A Book List

If there's nothing's else to talk about I could always talk about books. So here's a list. I tried not to write any spoilers but it's kind of hard to do so I didn't used specifics.

01/ A book that jabs and cuts into my mind:
When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt


I still find this book rather hard to get over. I remember how much I hated that guy for almost destroying the main character by his one cruel act. I grieved over her and her hardship and amazed that she could go through all those awful things and still finds her way out and into a better life. This book makes me feel very humble. I just wish I had read it sooner.
02/ A book that I have read and immediately loved:
Postcards From a Dead Girl by Kirk Farber 

I am not much into re-reading but this one, I have reread a couple of times and still find it funny. And every time I re-read it, it's still funny. Of cause, it is a little sad too but I had a good feeling whenever I read it.  
03/ A book series that I read very quickly:
The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

I dislike book series, trilogy, quadrilogy - I mean, if each book is a stand alone, than I don't might as much. 
But there is an exception: The Harry Potter series. I read the series in just a few days. I did saw the first movie before starting on the books but that did not make it less enjoyable. I still wish Harry's future wife was somebody else. I really did not root for her at all. In fact, I find her the mostly unlikely to be his wife. I suppose it's best not to read the ending if I re-read the series.

04/ A book that I wish had a better ending:
Stardust by Neil Gaiman

There are several books I could put on this list but I choose Stardust. I do like the book but the ending seems a little weak to me. I mean, if you have been chasing after something for so long and so hard, then giving it up at the very last moment just seems kind of dumb. Okay, maybe she had already lost but still whatever happen to fighting until the bitter end? I think the movie ending was a little better.
05/ A book that I skimmed while reading:
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

There is a short list but I choose Little Women. I know this is like everybody's favorite book but I just can't seem to like it.  Perhaps reading it while as an adult isn't a good idea. I think that must be part of why I don't like it as much as I should. I mean, it has a would-be writer, some fun elements, characters I'm sure I would have liked better if I had read it at a younger age.  I skimmed this book. A lot. I just can't seem to like Jo or Amy or Meg expect for Beth, though I did found her story a bit weak as I think she deserves better than that ending.
Feel free to reply with your 5 books.

13 comments:

  1. I didn't like Little Women either. I am the only person I know who sincerely dislikes Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like her either. I find her irritating at times.

      thanks for dropping by. have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. They look interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for being non-specific but I do like sharing my opinion.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post! I might do this as well! :) I finally need to check out Postcards from a Dead Girl. I am pretty sure I will like it. I love to re-read the Harry Potter books. I already read them several times in German and in English and they never get old. I also love the Adrian Mole diaries by Sue Townsend. They make me laugh every single time I read them.
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it must be interesting to read in german as I can only read in english, it's too bad though.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. I love your little book reviews, Lissa. How fun. I'm always looking for good, unique books - little treasures. The second one looks really, really good. I just might get that after I finish the one Mmm just bought me for graduation - "How To Catch A Frog" by Heather Ross. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. strange, I don't seem to get an email whenever you leave a comment but I do reply to comments in the post so I always sees them.

      yes, I believe you'll like the #2 book asI find it quirky and funny and so easy to read. thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha, Alexandra and I are so similar.... I had not realised she had been to this post but I agree that the 2nd one looks quite good. Do you know that you can learn lots more about the book, like what song inspired the author to write it if you follow his blog (http://www.kirkfarberfiction.blogspot.com/)? He lives in CO, no less!

    That first novel look so good too...that is, for fiction! lol. You know how muc I prefer non fiction overall. I actualyl looked it up online on amazon adn read the review adn basic story. I can see why it might have the affect it does on you.

    Wonderful list here. Love the categories you come up with. One thing I'd love to see you add is a link on the book title to the book on amazon or what have you.

    Great read here from you and great read there from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Corrected: I rather NOT add a link to any retail place as I think if people want to find out about a book they can look it up themselves plus I really prefer not to promote amazon at all, they already have one too many people promoting them.

      Delete
  6. BTW, I was going to add that while I did not enjoy the book, "Little Women" I did like the last movie reiteration of it, shorter and with a very young Winona Ryder. The cinemaphotography was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the same here with me, I actually saw the movie first but I didn't really like all that much either.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it. " -- Kurt Vonnegut